3/31/08

Camera and Choice? ~ Tutorial #3




How to choose the right camera for you.

People always ask me what camera I bought and why. That answer is simple. I have 2 cameras. The first is a point and shoot by Sony. We originally bought the DCS-T1 Cybershot. 5 megapixels it was a fantastic camera. But as I got into taking pics I wanted more!!! I wanted to be able to have more manual control... which is something you do not get very easily with a point and shoot. You can get some fantastic pics, but you do not get all the options that you do with a larger more professional camera with lenses and manual controls.

Ok... when talking camera's we need to be realistic. They all cost money. Some more than others. When I bought my Sony I got it for a little over $400.00. It really has been worth it. Some of the great things I have to say for it is it's size is great! Easy to pack along with you anywhere!!! Not heavy. Takes decent pics. Does video. Easy to charge and has a turn off feature if the camera is not in use for a certain period of time. Very handy! Little kids could use it - but I don't recommend spending that much on a 5 or 6 year old unless you have that kind of money because they could loose it or ruin it easily.

Now, on to my baby!
I have a Nikon D80. It has 10 megapixels. I almost bought the D200, but DH thought this would be good enough for now. This sucker comes with a novel for instructions. I am just starting to learn how to use it. The price is much more. With lens, light diffuser, and camera Nathan spent around $1600.00. (I got my baby because he felt guilty for buying a drum set without discussing it with me first. He almost lost his wife and family that day! I found out he blew around $2000.00 without talking to me first and baby #4 was on the way, he did not have a job... you get the picture! EEEK!) So to make me feel better he blew more money! HEHEHEHEHE!

Honestly, I think I got the better end of the deal. But it was nice to get something for me that can be used to benefit the entire family and also his art work.

I had several options... but I narrowed it down to 2 companies - Nikon and Cannon. I can't say enough about either. They both produce GREAT products and I would be proud to have either. There is another company moving up in ranks, but I was not as familiar with it so I will not even name it yet. Money is an issue when looking at the higher end camera, but results do not even compare. Once you get into the 8+ megapixels you will get GREAT looking pictures!
There is no doubt about it. Consistency also goes up! Expense is dependent upon how many lenses you buy and whatnot... but you can do great with just one lens.

Features are amazing as well! I can let my camera work automatically or I can take more control by using manual settings. I can focus in and reach further distances with my camera like never before. It really opens up a whole new world.



The only downfalls I find with the cameras are they are heavier - bulkier thus making it harder to tote around. You can't simply slip it in your purse, nor can you be discrete with a larger camera. It takes getting used to toting it with you everywhere. Another downfall is that it does not shut off automatically so if you leave it on by mistake the battery will run out and you have to hope you brought or even bought a spare battery - or you will not get to take more pics. It is frustrating if you download the pics too... you have to remember to turn off the camera or you will again have a dead battery. You cannot download pics and charge the battery at the same time like many point and shoots do. That is my major source of frustration. Especially when my husband shares my camera with me... Then that is out of my control. Thank goodness for spares!



With any camera it is good to have an extra memory chip - so not much of an issue. I guess the only other issue is that there is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to learn! You can spend a great deal of time learning your new camera.



I would go on line and compare cameras and prices. See how much you are willing to spend. In my opinion - 8 or more megapixels is essential for a good camera. If it were me, I would try to stick with Cannon or Nikon. Both have the leading edge and have been around for a very long time. GREAT reputations. Read the reviews for the camera's online. It is a big investment so it is well worth the time to review them. Speak to the owners... Don't just take my word, but listen to several people and their thoughts. It really is worth it to invest in one if you are crazy about pictures and would like a really fun hobbie!

Here is a link you should check out too: http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboards/showthread.php?t=218265

7 comments:

Shaney April 1, 2008 at 8:11 AM  

Yipee! You are back! I was worried you had abandoned us in the blogging world!! I missed your wonderful pictures and hearing about your wonderful family! Thanks for coming back:) Now I will read your blog:)

Shaney April 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

I love it! Thanks for the tips. I have the nikon d-50 now and love it!! It is just as you describe it though and a point and shot is essential. We have a pentex that takes pictures and video and does a decent job. I had a cannon rebel before my nikon and really liked it too, before Ken gave it to a taxi driver in Cancun for a tip a year ago!!! You just got to love those husbands:) I have two lens and a few diffusers. I am saving for a teleophoto lens because they work really well for taking pictures at Brads football games! I am also still hinting to Ken for the D-80!!! I looked at the D200 but they remove all of the auto features and I don't think I could live without that at my skill level! Thank you sooooo much for your teachings and help! You are great and know so much about what photography! Thanks again!!

Tamster April 1, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

Too bad we're poor! :-(

Cindy April 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM  

Tammy - So many people don't realize that there are other options and models. You can spend around $400 for a really good camera. Each company has many models, I just listed the 2 top ones that I trust. I also mentioned how much I payed, but you can spend so much less! There are sales and even Ebay or Craigslist you can go to and find a deal on the camera of your choice.

I see it as an investment.

Tamster April 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

We actually bought a nice camera (nice for us, that is) about a year ago, so I really feel pretty good with what we have now, compared to before. I just meant that we are too poor for one of those really nice ones (and frankly we probably shouldn't have bought the one we did when we did, but it has definitely been nice--wonderful actually--to have, so we are grateful for it). The one we have is as nice as we'll be getting for a long time, and I'm glad we have it. It's a Sony something or other. :-)

Bonnie April 4, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

Oh my word! I love the pictures that you are able to capture. You are making me want to go and spend a couple ok a few or more hundred dollars on a new camera! And then I am going to adopt you and take you with me everywhere! You are awesome.

It looks like you had fun together. I hope we will see you here in the summer.

Shaney, we will be up to your pool soon. If I dare venture that far away from home! Will you come and get me in your mustang?

Cindy April 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

Bonnie! I would love to come with you and take photos!!! That would be a dream outing for sure!

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP